13 Questions with Micah Espion


What was the first thing you wrote?
In retrospect, I think entries in my Kim Possible diary take the first slots of the list. They were written in pencil with love and a first grader’s penmanship.



What got you into writing?
I think the ‘craving’ to write actually got me into writing. If that makes sense. You see, writing fills in the blanks of what I’d like to say to the world. It stands to be therapeutic in more ways than one and for as long as I can remember, it has been a part of my routine.
What are your writing necessities?
Frixion ink refills and a Moleskine journal are my prerequisites when it comes to writing. Without either of the two, I don’t think much of what I’d write would radiate the intended essence. I’ve considered the Moleskine app on my phone as a good enough alternative, though.
What form and genre do you write?
I dominantly write in Prose but I’ve had my fair share of novel writing. I recently tried to take on the challenge of NaNoWriMo and I have oh so recently failed. When it comes to the genre in which I write, I don’t think I can put my finger on anything specific.
Any inspirations?
Inspiration would be anything distinct from routine that I manage to grasp with any of my senses;  hearing an old favorite song while on shuffle, seeing something new in the neighborhood, or a retched scent that can be an analogy to whatever disgust I have toward something of interest. Anything that can manage to fuel a spark, I guess.
What genre would you like to dive into next?
If I were to dip my toes in something new, the CSI fanatic in me is screaming Mystery Fiction. I think I still lack the skill and the critical-mindedness to pull it off, though.
What do you do when you're not writing?
I wait in the hope of finding something else great enough to write about. (In other words, I spend my days catering to the demands of school until the weekend comes around.)
What’s your writing process like?
Most of the time, I settle with an idea and work with what I have until it manages to evolve into a piece that can stand on its own. Once I’ve paved my way through the foundation, I reread until I find myself in perfect harmony with how the words are weaved together. After working that out, I’ll try my best to make sure that I haven’t strayed from the ideals that keep me intact with what I write. Again, I reread until the piece manages to reason out how different it is from the rest. A piece is never really finished as I sometimes find myself adding lines to what I’ve written months back. As far as writing processes go, I think mine is still pretty vague and all.
Do you have any strange writing habits?
Strange writing habits? The orange light in my room has to be on, no matter the necessity. No mom, I will not turn the light off. I don’t care if the sun is at its highest point. SHHHH, I’ll eat lunch later. Plus, a glass of water that I will not drink until I’m done or until I think it’s good enough.
What book do you wish you could have written?
On a whim, The Iliad by Homer. But if it counts, 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die. Don’t ask me why, haha.
In relation to writing, what were you like at school?
I guess I can say that I’ve tried to use my interest as an advantage when it comes to writing for school. English has always been my favorite subject and that has been well-reflected by my grades. Taking part in the school magazine and other related activities have certainly worked out well so far.
Do you have a specific writing style?
I’m quite particular with my play on words. Reading a piece with a rich vocabulary develops my liking towards it so I strive to do the same with my own. Moreover, I remain faithful to the ideal “Write what you know.” As I value the flow and transition of thoughts, so do I value the truth in what I write. My writing style highlights these two factors yet remains arbitrary at most.
And lastly, what book are you reading now?
Other than Mark Irving’s 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die (if it counts), I finally found the time to read Paper Towns by John Green.

Read Micah's works "I am" and "Vague Memory" over here at YWPH. Want to be the next writer featured? Click here for the guidelines.


0 comments: