13 Questions with Lilah Gran

What was the first thing you wrote?

If I remember correctly, the first thing I wrote (non school related) was a poem called “Loving You” (no matter how cliché the title sounds). It was dedicated to my “first love” when I was about 14 years old.

What got you into writing?

The poem above really started everything for me. After writing “Loving You”, I just wrote more poems, then reflections, essays, short stories, to chapter stories. So I suppose what got me into writing is that “first love” and how therapeutic writing became because I had no one to express my feelings with.

What are your writing necessities?

A great idea! A worthy one at least. My laptop. Coffee. Serene ambiance. Free time. Maybe some low music on the background while I’m writing. Mostly instrumentals, but if I’m writing fantasy, then some Future World Music or Adrian von Ziegler would do.

What form and genre do you write?

I still write occasional poems and short stories. But every now and then I find myself working on a chapter story. My poems are usually free verse. As for chapter stories, I write mostly high fantasy fiction. Or anything Young Adult really. Same goes with my short stories. I don’t usually focus on romance as the main plot. I’d rather go for romance as a sub plot... then have mystery or science fiction or fantasy for the spotlight.  

Any inspirations?

As a writer? Believe it or not, Michael Jackson inspired me to write. I know he’s not your usual author, but give him a chance. Try reading “Mark of the Ancients” or “The Boy and the Pillow” from his book Dancing the Dream. You’ll find yourself spending hours figuring out their meanings. It’s just so deep and mysterious. My inspirations go in sync with the current story I'm working on. Say when I wrote a story about Dragons, several movies about Dragons inspired me to pursue it and even K-dramas occasionally inspire me. Sometimes there are certain persons/events/experiences/songs that inspire a story in me and I go with that.

What genre would you like to dive into next?

My next goal is to write something in Filipino. I haven’t figure out the genre though. But I’ve also wanted to try writing Dystopian just because.

What do you do when you're not writing?

I live my life, as typical as any other girl. Sometimes I paint, I draw, I read YA books, I watch disaster films, I search for unknown bands, and most especially, I figure out what to write next.

What’s your writing process like?

I imagine a lot. My mind just can’t stop. I always have stories in head locked away in a cabinet called “Reserved”. I try to go around it and if it feels right, that’s when I know its worth to write. From there, I try to summarize the general direction of the raw story (through my mind). I don’t write it down! It kills the momentum. I imagine the prospective ending. The characters. The setting. I decide whether I end it tragically or give it a happy ending. And then I usually find character inspirations. I go for the appearances I see in my head and try to find actors that may suit the characters’ personality. Like casting a movie! That helps me envision. Most of it comes from my head as you see. After that, that’s when I begin the actual writing. The best part of it though is the magic that happens while I was writing. Most of the amazing twists happen in a blink of an eye. It just comes when it comes, when you’re not looking, when you don’t expect it. Almost as if letting the story write itself.

Do you have any strange writing habits?

I talk to myself, lol. I try to act out the scenes sometimes if I get stuck. It’s like having a conversation with myself as I try to utter dialogues between two characters in conversation. That’s pretty strange, right?

What book do you wish you could have written?

The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling, lol.

In relation to writing, what were you like at school?

I’m that cool geek. I don’t know really. My grades are pretty average or maybe slightly above but I’m definitely not in the top 10 smartest students in my class. I also hate PE because I hate sports.

Do you have a specific writing style?

Style? Well, since English is not my mother language and also because I suck at it, I use very simple vocabulary. I also don’t want to deal with a lot of descriptions because they bore me. I use hyperboles a lot too!

And lastly, what book are you reading now?

The sequel to The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, The Infinite Sea.

Read Lilah's works "Empty Jar", "What Do You Really Want to Know?" and "A 124-Day Journal" over here at YWPH.

1 comment: