FEATURED STORY: What Do You Really Want to Know? by Lilah Gran













A man asked me the other day, "Why are you like that?"

Confused, I asked, "Why am I like what?
He arched an eyebrow, and chuckled before explaining, "Why is your question different from what you want to know?"

His question puzzled me. I took a moment of silence, reflecting on what he had asked me. In my mind, my question from a while ago flashed back before me.

We were seated on the front seats. Him, at the driver's seat, and me, on the passenger seat next to him. He just confessed about his past love. Though he resisted to narrate it, I insisted upon so. And thus, he did.

Somewhere in the middle of his story-telling, I asked, "Are you okay with that?"

Apparently, they broke up 7 years ago, yet remained very good friends.
I asked the question seriously, and expected the same from him, but instead I heard a whispered laugh, like a mock but still too sweet to be disrespectful.

Then he asked, "Why are you like that?"
Confused, I asked, "Why am I like what?
He arched an eyebrow, and chuckled before explaining, "Why is your question different from what you want to know?"

His question puzzled me. I took a moment of silence, reflecting on what he had asked me.

But I couldn't say anything to defend myself.
"What do you really want to know?" He added.
I was always good with conversations. But this time, I choked.  I couldn't answer his questions.
"You confuse me a lot, know that?"
My thoughts were on a breakdown.
"Sometimes, what I expected to hear from you, you say the otherwise. Like right now, shouldn't you have asked, 'Do you still love her?' or 'Do you want her back?' instead of a mere 'Are you okay with that?'" He went on speaking, and the more he did, the more I sank, lower and lower.
I regained my composure, determined to look fierce in his eyes.
"Well..." I stuttered, "Do you still love her?"
"Yes." He affirmed.
Now I regret asking the question. He glanced at me, smiling. It didn't make sense, for he's supposed to feel guilty, yet at this very moment, he looked as if he just won a trophy.
There was an awkward silence. I didn't know how to respond.
"So, what do you really want to know?" He challenged.
I swallowed before speaking, "Well, do you love me?" I asked, wearily.

He smiled, and pulled over his car. He reached for my hand and looked me in the eye, "But," He said, pulling out a diamond ring, "I love you more, and I thought you'd never ask."

0 comments: